Sunday, July 19, 2009

Frugal Shabbos, or: Another Beef 3 in 1

A couple of weeks ago I decided to purchase one package of ground meat for shabbos instead of 1 pack chicken and 1 pack meat. I made soup with meatballs, also known as frikadelka, frikadela or frikadelle depending on the language. I seasoned the meat and formed small meatballs which I sauteed with onions, then added carrots, zucchini, and a potato, all diced. I used the rest of the ground beef for cholent and meat patties.

This week we're doing everything with one chicken.

1 comment:

  1. B"H
    I started using only chicken bones for the chicken soup, it's much cheaper and tastes better than the chicken soup made with pieces of chicken. You can also buy chicken necks and use those, I used them on Pesach when salt is the only spice I used and boy was the soup delicious!

    Another suggestion, use chicken in the cholent instead of meat, it's cheaper and lighter on the stomach.

    ReplyDelete